Program Director for the Organic Cotton Accelerator
The Program Director will be responsible for the development and implementation of OCA’s intervention strategy in India and beyond, ranging from sourcing pilots and seed projects to capacity building and innovative supply chain finance. We are looking for a seasoned and passionate manager who is able to drive the success of the Organic Cotton Accelerator and the organic cotton sector as a whole.
For the past 18 months, OCA has been hosted by NewForesight Consultancy based in Utrecht (Netherlands). You will take over the work of the interim program director and join the team in the Netherlands and India in rolling out and scaling up OCA’s program of interventions and its impact from 2018 onwards.
Program strategy and management
- Develop and implement the OCA strategy and intervention plans in close consultation with the team, Executive Director and OCA partners
- Oversee and facilitate the work of the team in India, and potentially other countries in the near future
- Collaborate with partners and stakeholders to create support and alignment for OCA’s program of interventions, and co-develop intervention plans that build on the OCA vision
- Proactively seek opportunities to bring synergies between our interventions within OCA with the projects of partners and other stakeholders
- Contribute to the management of service providers, budgets and contracting
- Contribute to the broader sector strategy for (organic) cotton and the opportunities for fundraising and new partners
Monitoring and reporting
- Ensure the effectiveness and credibility of the OCA programs, by building and managing the right monitoring and evaluation systems and delivering quality reporting on program progress and results
- Contribute to the learning community of OCA partners based on the lessons derived from the different interventions
Content lead and implementation
- Share and present the strategy and work of OCA both internally to partners, as well as externally to the broader stakeholder network and events
- Contribute to the implementation of the work in India and potentially other countries in the near futures.
- Seasoned program manager, preferably with experience in the field of (sustainable) agriculture, processing and trade, and/or the textiles sector.
- Thorough knowledge of the (organic) cotton sector, supply chain, production and standards;
- Strategic (holistic) thinker, linking goals to strategy and activities, with a results-oriented mindset
- Experience in sustainability program monitoring systems and reporting
- A ‘people’ manager with experience in managing a team of professionals
- Operating in a multi-stakeholder environment, with affinity and familiarity with the variety of actors we work with (producers, value chain players, brands, NGOs, and government)
- Diplomatic and with strong communication skills
- A connector and team player
- Fluent in English, other languages are a plus
- A full-time position with long-term perspective, starting with a 1-year contract
- The opportunity to realize significant sustainability impact
- The position to strengthen an organization which was set up to have positive impact at scale
- Salary in line with sector standard and experience
- Ideally based in the Netherlands
The Organic Cotton Accelerator (OCA) is a multi-stakeholder initiative focused on creating a prosperous organic cotton sector from farmer to consumer. OCA unites and represents a large share of the industry voice and interest in the organic cotton sector via its partners (H&M, C&A, Inditex, Eileen Fisher, Tchibo, Kering, amongst others). As an accelerator, we promote best practices and transparency through the entire supply chain, to enhance the viability of organic cotton now and in the future. Our program of interventions focuses on improving the business case for organic cotton farmers and the integrity of organic cotton at the source of the supply chain. India, the world’s largest organic cotton producer, is currently the focus country in these initial years.
Together with our partners, OCA aims to leverage sourcing practices and conditions to the benefit of organic farmers and the organizations directly managing organic farming programs. We support our partners in implementing sourcing practices that engage more directly with the base of the supply chain, and improve conditions such as a fair price to the farmer. Quality servicing of farmers by farmer program managers, e.g. providing access to quality non-GM seed to the farmer, is also part of our interventions. OCA provides its partner brands with data transparency on the impact of their sourcing practices at farm-level, and aims to pilot a traceability system to improve the integrity in the organic textiles supply chain. The organization and its mandate are developing, and new interventions and strategies will be added to the agenda with time. A critical success factor for OCA is its ability to set up its interventions for scale, using technology and (innovative) finance to assure transparency and affordability of its interventions.
Interesse in deze functie?
To apply for this position, please send your CV (2 pages max) and cover letter (1 page max) by 30 November 2017.